Yamamoto - Story 5 (Lauren)
Throughout the entire book, the reader is constantly being reminded that there is not much of a trace of humanity and essentially no nature. There are, however, machines everywhere. They are the dominant “kind”. Some concepts in that world are ones that only machines can understand, because they are too complex for the “outdated” humans. This reminded me a little to the movie Wall-E, where only machines remain on the planet and humans live in a special spacecraft in space.
I found that an overriding theme in this section is religion. In the story, Artificial Intelligent machines worship god, but say he does not exist. “God exists in the ultimate limits of the i-axis, but not in the sense that you humans envision. We have our eyes set toward the limits of the i-axis, worshipping that unattainable goal. The i-Tripler Point—that is God” (156-157). The Storyteller says it was all gibberish to him (157). I think this says a lot about religious practices that we encounter today in our contemporary world. To some people, religion is nothing but gibberish: stories that are told in order to keep a society in order. It is inevitable that some people will not agree or believe the story, therefore other religions are created with slightly different story versions.
In addition, Ibis tells the Storyteller that humans will never fully understand one another. In our contemporary world we see the same situation between different races/ethnicities. Machines and humans are clearly very different in the story and can only relate to certain things. We experience a similar situation in present day with racial differences. As a white woman, I will never understand what it feels like to be a black woman, for example. Since I travel quite a bit, I have realized that security doesn’t even look at me twice as I go through TSA. On the other hand, there are people that might walk through a little more cautiously, because of their skin color or ethnicity.
Comments
Post a Comment