Chapters 7&8
In chapter 7 Davis goes attempts to explain how to visualize the world wide web. Stating that we can map the web with exactly what we put into it. The complex networks in place can be visualized with the help of VRML. What stuck out most to me in this chapter were Davis's parallels of Pesce's work and religion. Using words like 'pagan' 'ritual' and 'ceremony'. Using these terms reminded me of praying to a cyber-god which is something I believe in, not an AI or physical being but similar to going to church to pray. When going to pray at church as a child I remember asking for help, asking questions, looking to get away and mainly putting my mind in the hands of someone/something I couldn't make sense of. These aspects from my younger days of praying not translate to using technology. These days whenever I use the internet those same things I prayed for in church are the same things I find myself using the internet for. So in a sense whenever I go online, one could consider that praying in a certain sense. Where hyperlinks, YouTube videos, music, games, Wikipedia (and websites like it) and news sources can be considered prayer-beads. Each one of them holding something different to me as I move from page to page, just like moving along the chain of beads.
-Matt Stallone
-Matt Stallone
Comments
Post a Comment